Today I will share my homemade soy drink recipe! It is totally popular around the people I know and similar to the soydrink you can get in Singapore on the streets, so I have heard!
Soy milk is known to be a great replacement to milk and contains lots of calcium and iron. It is relative more popular in the Asian countries then in the Western. But it is slowly increasing, as more people are starting to prefer to drink soy.
- 200 grams of white soybeans
- 40 grams of black soybeans
- 2 liter of water
- 2 pandan leaves
- 10-12 scoops of sugar (glass spoon)
The needed materials:
- A pan for about 2 liters.
- Cheesecloth (or a fine cloth filter)
- A mixer to grind the soybeans.
- A glass spoon as shown in the picture below.
- Soak the white and black soybeans separately in warm water for at least 4 hours. Make sure that the water covers the soybeans fully and check on the white soybeans regularly as they absorb a lot of water. BTW, don’t get a shock if the water of the black soybeans turn black, it is normal!
- After soaking them for 4 hours, take 2 pandan leaves and wash them before tying a knot and placing them in the pan.
- Prepare 2 liters of water
- Rinse the soybeans well before adding them to the grinder!
- The best is to start with a quarter of the white soybeans and add 1/8 of the 2L water. Grind it and add them in the cheescloth ABOVE the pan!
- Squeeze out the residue from the cloth. And the paste in the cheesecloth will be put back in the grinder with another batch of white soybeans and water.
- Repeat the process till all the white beans are grinded and throw the leftovers in the cheesecloth away.
- Now add all black beans to the grinder with 250 ml of water (One cup) and repeat the of the white beans with the black beans too. But only once!
- Boil and sweeten the soydrink by adding spoons of sugar every few minutes till the taste is sweet enough or just right for you. For me this is mostly about 10 to 12 spoons. Once the taste is there, boil it for another 2-3 minutes and let it cool off after.
VOILÁ, your homemade soydrink.